Property and maintenance claims part 2: living as an unmarried couple with children

In last week’s blog, I looked at issues that could arise when one considers living together as a couple. Having children doesn’t affect anything that I wrote about in my previous article. But whereas living together doesn’t give rise to any legal claims for maintenance or against property, the birth of children will.

This article deals with the situation in respect of an unmarried couple. With married couples, children are for the most part taken care of by way of Financial Orders made between the husband and the wife.

Powers of the court


Most potential maintenance claims are now dealt with by the Child Support Agency (CSA). But that government department is giving way to a new scheme by the Child Maintenance Service (CMS). For changes in child maintenance schemes, please see:

In certain circumstances, the court does hold jurisdiction to make a Maintenance Order in favour of children. But not if the CSA or the CMS have jurisdiction.

The most common cases where you can make an application to the court are:

  • Where the paying parent lives abroad
  • Where maintenance is sought from a step parent – if you’ve married someone and supported their child then you could be liable to pay maintenance
  • Whether the paying parent’s net income exceeds £104,000 per annum (£156,000 per annum gross under the CMS scheme)

School fees

Under the legislation of the Child Support Act, the court retains the right separately to make an Order in relation to school fees.

Disabled children

Again under the Child Support Act, the court holds the jurisdiction to make Maintenance Orders for disabled children. These Orders are on top of what you may claim under the CSA or CMS schemes.

Lump Sum Orders

Under the Children’s Act, where financial circumstances allow, the court can make a Lump Sum Order. This is for reimbursement of expenses connected with the birth of or maintenance of a child.

The court can make the order in retrospect and has to decide whether the expenditure or liability was reasonably incurred. The court can also make Lump Sum Orders to cover specific future expenditure. Such claims have included monies to buy a car to transport the children or for musical instruments and a range of other expenditure.

There's no limit on the number of lump sum claims that the court can make.  But the court will only make Lump Sum Orders where the paying party can afford to make the payment. A court would not normally expect anyone to borrow money to fund such an Order.

Transfer or settlement of property

The court can order, where it can be afforded, the transfer or the funding for the purchase of a property for the children to live in. But the property, or such appropriate proportion of it, will revert to the provider of the property usually when the child leaves education. It is not a permanent transfer in favour of the children or the parent with whom the children live.

How to protect everything that matters to you

Please call Richard Perry today on 01482 324252 or email to see how we can help you.

Return to the blog archive »

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.

Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.

Click here to view our Terms of Use